Search Hello Iowa

February 20, 2013

Habakkuk 3:17-19

For those of you who are not aware of this...finding a job is really, really hard these days. I have just started my job hunt (and by just started, I mean I've been typing "dietitian jobs in Iowa" into a search engine for countless months, but now I'm actually looking at what they're asking for in applications and filling them out!),  and it is already 102398228376 times more stressful than I originally thought. Senior year of high school, I was told that "the world will always need dietitians", so I thought since I was interested in nutrition, this would be the career for me! I still wholeheartedly believe that, and I know full well that the world will always need dietitians, but there need to be jobs available for these RD hopefuls!

Following a few days of research, "getting my feelers out there", sending a few job applications out, and finding out that my dream job in my dream location can't be funded right now, I had a minor breakdown. Josh and I have many late-night talks about what we hope to be someday, dream up our perfect lives with our imaginary children, talk about what we would do if we ever won the lottery...you know, normal stuff. A few of these nights (maybe more than a few if you ask Josh) have slowly melded into "what-if" discussions, though, too. Like what if our kids grow up and tell us they think we're weird? or What if we have to live in apartments for more than another year? or What if we NEVER WIN THE LOTTERY!? 

But our discussion last night was full of worry about what if I can't find a job in dietetics in Iowa? Or what if I get a job, but it's in Dubuque and we just signed a lease for an apartment in Iowa City? Or what if Josh's job is always in a different area than mine and if we want to live together, we can never both have a job we like? Or why would I make him quit his job so I can follow my dream, but at the same time I ask him to sacrifice his? 

Worry, worry worry. I'll admit, I got teary-eyed. He told me that no matter what happened, we would have each other, and that's better than a job anyway. Of course, our relationship is more important than a career. I will say that forever. Still, I can't help but worry that all I'll never be able to be the dietitian I want to be. I was all set to turn out the light and pout silently to myself, when I remembered that we hadn't read our devotion story of the night. 

Devotions started for Josh and I over a winter break a few years ago. It was our "New Year's Resolution" that we stole (unbeknownst to them) from his sister and her husband. He said when he was in high school, he remembered that Michelle and Aaron always read devotions before bed and would say goodnight. I thought it was an awesome idea, since both Josh and I value faith and wanted that to be number one in our relationship. So we went with it! We read our "bedtime story" either over the phone or in person almost every single night for the whole year (even when I was in Alaska!). But once the year ended, the book ended, and we couldn't find one that we liked until recently.

My best friend's sister in law has been posting pictures of the devotion book that she has been reading. Every time she posts anything, it seems to apply personally to her life. I found out which book she had and decided to start our bedtime story tradition again.

So back to me pouting. I opened up our Nook, and immediately started smiling. Here's what it said:

You are feeling weighed down by a plethora of problems, both big and small. They seem to require more and more of your attention, but you must not give in to those demands. When the difficulties in your life feel as if they're closing in on you, break free by spending quality time with Me. You need to remember who I AM In all My Power and Glory. Then, humbly bring Me your prayers and petitions. Your problems will pale when you view them in the Light of My Presence. you can learn to be joyful in Me, your Savior, even in the midst of adverse circumstances. Rely on Me, your Strength; I make your feet like the feet of a deer, enabling you to go on the heights.
And the scripture after that:
Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior.

Like every other good and perfect thing that has happened in my life, I need to bring this job hunt before God. I prayed daily for the internship to Alaska, my internship at Iowa, my future husband, and so many other things that the Lord has provided. (Random side story, but I once prayed for my 8th grade boyfriend to hit a home run in a baseball game, and it happened! The poor kid was--let's say...better at football than baseball-- but as a result of two errors, and the fact that he was a super fast runner, he got that home run!!! Coincidence?? I think NOT!)

All joking aside, I am so thankful that God uses so many people to bring me back to Him when I have wandered astray, and when I have forgotten how important our alone time is. And who knows, maybe someone reading this post (if anyone even does) needed to hear how God is on the move, and it will lead them to spend more time with God. All I know is I am so thankful for a God who loves me all the time, and for all the people he has placed in my life to remind me when I forget.


Thirsty for more?! Loving this song right now:


2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you brought your worries to the Man with the Plan! It is so true that God always does provide. This post was wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, I read your posts! And I love them each time. I really connected with your post, because I have been there. Even though I am not job searching for that RD job quite yet, in time I will be there too. But I was there following graduation and the whole, "What do I do with my life now?" Slightly different, I was offerred jobs, with great salaries and benefits...but there was that feeling that something wasn't right. I turned down those jobs not having any back up, not having any idea what I was going to do next except for moving back home with my future husband. It was Patrick, just like Josh, who told me the same thing, that we would always have each other and nothing else mattered. It was then I decided that I was going to do something I loved, even if it meant not having that large salary job that I thought I wanted years ago. And now look, I am exactly where I want to be. Sure, the student loans seem insurmountable, but it was our priest who told us that God would always to be there to help us, and with love, anything is possible.

    I'm not going to lie, Patrick and I still ask ourselves the same questions, still dream big and work hard not knowing where we will end up in a year or so. But all I know is that God brought Patrick and I together on purpose, and God and each other is all we need. I feel confident that you will land that AMAZING RD job, because you deserve it. Even if it takes longer to find it than you would like, it will come.

    So far now I will leave you with 3 quotes I have in plain view each and every day as I study and work hard to get my own dream RD job...

    "For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." Isaiah 41:13

    Be on time. Work quietly. Work hard. Learn. Stay humble. Teach others. Let your failures be your fuel. Wake up, and do it again tomorrow.

    "Pray about everything, worry about nothing."

    Love you! <3

    ReplyDelete