Search Hello Iowa

June 27, 2012

Balloon(s) Glow

I love Iowa. I really never ever in a million years thought I would say it, but I do. Especially right now. Being that I'm from Wisconsin, every "fest" I have ever been to revolves around food and beer. Cranberry Fest, Kornfest (no, not the band, they just thought they were being clever), Butter Fest (seriously), and of course, the State Fair. Now, I'm not saying that stuff here doesn't revolve around food, but how can you really be thinking of funnel cakes and pizza when there is a huge hot air balloon inflating and glowing right in front of your face?!

Balloon Glow 2012 in Cedar Rapids, IA. The most wonderful event of the year. I'm not sure what it is about hot air balloons that makes me all giddy inside, but I was feeling like some of the five year old kids there. It took place in the front lawn of a mansion in Cedar Rapids called Brucemore. 


The lawn was totally packed with people. We fought or way to a little patch of green and sat down to enjoy the band. This band was made up of three middle aged men, who started off their line up with none other than "Sweet Home Alabama". What is it with people in the Midwest playing that song? I feel like every cover band does it, but why? You're not from Alabama, or even the South. You're from Iowa! What makes things worse is that everyone else is bobbing their heads along, as if they're saying, "Yeah, man, this is my anthem!" The irony.

Anyway, the band got even better once they started singing Blink 182 and Kings of Leon. I could have died. Props to these guys!


The sun finally started its descent, and what a beautiful sunset it was!


Then they made us sit in anticipation for like, EVERRRR.....

...but finally one balloon started to sneak up in the background...


And glowing..

And then a few more...





We waited for a while, but were convinced that they probably weren't going to go up in the air since they were so close together. So we got to see the magic and wonder of some giant hot air balloons! 

I think I know another thing I want to add to my Bucket List! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment