Search Hello Iowa

June 8, 2012

Spinach... For BREAKFAST?


I've had a lot of free time to constantly be thinking about food. What should I make for dinner? What can I eat for lunch? There are cookies eyeballing me from the cookie jar on the table. I should go shopping and get some more ingredients to make ___________ recipe. This is when free time gets dangerous in my world.

But, I've decided to make the best of it, and try to get creative with what I'm eating. I'm constantly looking for ways to sneak vegetables into my diet, since I'm not necessarily a veggie fan (shame on me, I know!). I remembered that many of the blogs I love have been talking about Green Monster Smoothies

The last time I went to the store, I got a little carried away with "getting the best deal" with the best Nu-Val score. The "best deal" in this case was a ginormous, boat load of spinach. I'm talkin' the 11-ouncer

This was accompanied by a "Ho-ly cowww, honey!" reaction from Josh. 

Anyway, I figured I should start using it, so apart from our daily spinach salad, I also decided I should try out my very own Green Machine Smoothie. 

Ingredients
  • Baby Spinach
  • Dole Frozen Mixed Berry Blend
  • Anderson Erickson Low-fat Vanilla yogurt
  • V8 Fusion Berry Pomegranate Juice
You can use whatever portions you like, but I chose to fill my Magic Bullet mug 1/3 of the way with spinach, 1/3 with the berries, and 1/3 with yogurt. Then I squeezed whatever amount of juice would fit (which, as you can see, is maybe 1/4 of the mug). 

Then, blend away!



Before

After

It's not green, I know, but it's still good for you and the best part is...

It tastes sooooooo good! I promise, you can't taste the spinach at all! :)

1 comment:

  1. That smoothie looks amazing! I'm making one tomorrow morning!

    ReplyDelete