Search Hello Iowa

August 20, 2012

Real or not real: One week closer to being an RD!

These past few weeks have been a whirlwind of exciting things happening. First and foremost, Josh and I got engaged!! Words cannot describe how happy and blessed I feel to spend the rest of my life with this guy...





Also, I started my dietetic internship at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. The other interns (I would say girls, but we are super lucky and have a BOY in our program!) are all so awesome and we're having a great time getting to know each other. Plus, it's nice to get nerdy about nutrition with people who are equally as nerdy about it! 

We spent the first week talking about nutrition support (tube feedings), diabetes, the nutrition care process, diet histories, and writing chart notes. Most was a review, but I finally learned how to calculate tube feeding regimens! I spent the entire last semester stressed and angry (and not doing well on tests) because I could not get the hang of it, and in one day it's totally clear. So my advice to other dietetics students in the same position as me last year is--don't worry! You will have someone teach you in your internship! :)

This week begins real classes, tests, and rotations. I begin my rotations in the hospital in Patient Services. This is a management rotation, and I am actually pretty excited about it. I'll admit, I once dreaded all management rotations because I haven't really liked food service in my field experience. As long as I remember that I will be playing the role of dietitian, rather than a dishwasher or head cook, I will definitely be able to handle it! I will keep you updated on any interesting things I learn about.

Here is a video, totally unrelated to dietetics or being engaged. I just love the song. I heard it in church yesterday, and I forgot how powerful it is. One of those you-can't-help-but-raise-your-hands-'cause-God-is-so-awesome kind of songs :)





No comments:

Post a Comment