Search Hello Iowa

August 1, 2012

The Pros of Menu Planning (+Black Bean Burgers!)

As many of you know, I have a total OBSESSION with the blog Iowa Girl Eats. I use it often, especially when I'm planning a dinner menu for the week.

Menu planning is the best thing I have done for organization at our house since we moved in. I know it sounds tedious, but taking 30 minutes to make a menu for the week certainly beats out the ol' "What should we have for dinner?" question every single night. All I do is list all the days of the week and choose a recipe for each day. I do this at the same time I'm making my grocery list, so I am sure to remember everything I need. For example, tonight I'm making black bean burgers. I take out the recipe for them and see that I don't have panko bread crumbs, so that goes right on the list.

Easy, right?



It also helps to have the final list on the fridge. That way, I always know what to pull out of the freezer in the morning (or night before, if needed) before heading to work. Honestly, if you haven't tried it yet, you should really start menu planning!

Now on to the yummy stuff: black bean burgers!

I altered the original recipe a little, by omitting the chipotle pepper in abodo sauce, because we didn't have any and I thought it might be expensive to buy. The good news is, the burgers turned out just as delicious without it!


Ingredients (serves 4-6)
  • 1-15oz can black beans, drained & rinsed
  • 1/4 small white onion, roughly chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 3/4 cup corn kernels (canned, fresh, or thawed)
  • 1/4 cup bottled chunky salsa, plus more for topping the burgers
  • 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
  • 1 egg white (or 3 tbsp Egg Beaters All Whites)
  • 1 avocado
  • garlic powder
  • salt & pepper
  • 2-3 whole wheat tortillas, cut in half
  • 4-6 slices provolone cheese
Instructions
  • Combine half the black beans in a food processor with the white onion, garlic powder, cumin and salt. Pulse until nearly smooth, scraping the sides if needed. (Alternatively you could mash the black beans with a potato masher and mince the onion, combining with the other ingredients.) Remove mixture to a bowl then add remaining black beans, corn, salsa, panko bread crumbs, and egg white, then mix well with a spatula. Mixture will be wet.

  • Heat a large flat-top skillet over medium heat then generously spray the skillet with non-stick spray. Shape the bean mixture into four patties then cook the patties for 5-6 minutes a side, or until firm and golden brown.

  • Meanwhile, mash the avocado with garlic powder, salt & pepper in a small bowl. Place the cooked burgers on tortillas, then top with the mashed avocado, cheese, and extra salsa, if desired.

P.S. I have to show you guys what helped me do the cooking tonight. My Aunt Vicki sent Josh and me a housewarming gift--totally adorable, right!?






No comments:

Post a Comment