Search Hello Iowa

September 25, 2012

Time to Play Catch Up

Good morning, blog world. What a crazy few weeks it's been. I have been horrible at posting things, I know...I had really good intentions with updating this weekly. Anywho, we can play catch-up now!

Since I last wrote, I have been working in Patient Services.. I was there for four weeks total, and I honestly felt like it was a real job. I loved the preceptors I worked with, and even got to know a few of the staff. I did observations of many of the staff to see what their jobs were like: tray delivery, call center, menu passers, dishroom workers, and formula makers. Like I mentioned in the last post, UIHC operates its meals kind of like hotel room service. Patients call down, and their food is brought up to them. That's why the call center employees, tray delivery staff, and menu passers need to work well together.

It's an interesting perspective, being a dietetic intern. Since I didn't know the ins and outs and the "who's who" of the area, my preceptors thought it would be good for me to do reports on my observations, so they could get a feel for what is actually happening among the staff. The job of those working in Patient Services is extremely important, because they might be the only positive people the patients see all day. Think about it: everyone else that goes in the patient's room makes them do stuff they probably don't want to do if they're already sick. They get poked for blood draws, have to go through sometimes painful physical or emotional therapy, etc. Food is the best thing ever, compared to that! Therefore, Patient Services employees are trained to take their job seriously--to be positive, happy, and friendly.

Patient Services was an interesting way to learn about customer service. Because I've had the privilege of working at the Gap at the same time, I have learned a lot about how to treat people (outside of common courtesy, of course). At the Gap, we have cranky customers all the time. Many of my fellow workers, and myself included, get frustrated with people when they come in and brush us off and don't want to talk at all. It's always a gossip sesh after they leave, like, "Oh my gosh! Did you see that lady! What the heck?! She was so rude!"

But you know, what if that lady just found out that her daughter was diagnosed with cancer? Or that her husband has end stage renal disease? (I don't know why you would choose to go to the mall at that point, but you know what I mean.) Working in Patient Services gave me a whole different perspective. When delivering trays, the staff usually knows what floor they are going to, which often gives insight into what kind of patient might be there. Staff might see that they are delivering trays to the 8th floor, which is the Burn Unit. Tray delivery to the Mother/Baby floor often brings about a different attitude and environment than going to the burn unit, if you see what I mean. So you might understand why these patients may not be exactly thrilled to sit and chat about what's going on in their lives, more so than you might in another setting.

I thought that was a good lesson that should be taught at all levels of customer service. There's no telling what a person might be going through on a day to day basis. Just because they are at the mall, or getting their oil changed, or grocery shopping, it doesn't mean that everything is perfect in their lives. I'm not saying some people aren't just plain rude, but there is a great deal of people going through really tough stuff on a day to day basis. Life still happens, even though their world might feel like it should be on hold. Groceries still have to be purchased and day to day chores still have to occur, so they still have to get things done. Maybe that's something to think about the next time a "cranky" lady comes into your place of work!

Ok, I should probably go get ready for the day now...but I hope you guys enjoy your Tuesday! More updates to come!

P.S. Speaking of customer service, everyone who ever wants to work in a hospital should read this book:

If Disney Ran Your Hospital: 9 1/2 Things You Would Do Differently
It was an awesome way to learn more about hospital customer service and how important it is. I have a whole report about it if you want to learn more.


No comments:

Post a Comment